February 22, 2012
Tennis Swept by Anderson in SAC Opener
SALISBURY, NC -- The Catawba women fell 8-1 and the men 9-0 to the visiting Anderson Trojans Wednesday evening at the Johnson Tennis Center in the first South Atlantic Conference match of the season for both teams. The men fall to 6-3 overall and 0-1 in the SAC while the women drop to 5-4 and 0-1.
The women were quickly down 3-0 after doubles play. Freshman Sloan Kessler (Onalaska, WI/La Crosse Aquinas HS) was the lone winner of the day at #1 singles for the Lady Indians as she triumphed over Anderson’s Camie Beaulieu-Brune. Kessler won the first set 6-4 as her opponent had to retire before the second set.
Steffi Cook (Alpharetta, GA/Milton HS) played the Lady Trojan’s Shelby Anderson a tough match at #4, but eventually fell 6-3, 7-5.
On the men’s side Jess Goodall (Johannesburg, SOUTH AFRICA/Northcliff HS) and Pierce Hoover (Durham, NC/N. Durham HS) each took his opposition to three sets before bowing out. Goodall at #3 singles won the first set 6-2, then dropped the next two 7-6 and 11-9 against Krystof Gulbinovic. Hoover at #4 lost the first 7-5, won the second 6-4 and fell behind 11-9 in the third to Loic Ambroise.
Both #1 and #2 doubles dropped 8-5 decisions and #3 fell 8-4.
Catawba continues SAC play Saturday, Feb. 25 at the Johnson Tennis Center against Lincoln Memorial University at11:00 a.m.
1. Sloan Kessler (CATAWBA) def. Camie Beaulieu-Brune (AU-W) 6-4, retired
2. Avery Owens (AU-W) def. Ally Prior (CATAWBA) 6-1, 6-2
3. Clair Larkin (AU-W) def. Maggie McKee (CATAWBA) 6-1, 6-4
4. Shelby Anderson (AU-W) def. Steffi Cook (CATAWBA) 6-3, 7-5
5. Lauren Trumbull (AU-W) def. Candace Hall (CATAWBA) 6-1, 6-0
6. Lindsay Gregory (AU-W) def. Hannah Kovach (CATAWBA) 6-0, 6-1
1. Camie Beaulieu-Brune/Shelby Anderson (AU-W) def. Sloan Kessler/Maggie McKee (CATAWBA) 8-2
2. Avery Owens/Lauren Trumbull (AU-W) def. Steffi Cook/Ally Prior (CATAWBA) 8-5
3. Clair Larkin/Lindsay Gregory (AU-W) def. Candace Hall/Olivia Myers (CATAWBA) 8-0
|No events scheduled until September 2|