September 26, 2018
Men's Soccer Drops 6-2 Decision at Mars Hill
MARS HILL, N.C. - Catawba's offense came alive in the second half of the men's soccer match against Mars Hill but it was not enough to overcome in a 6-2 decision Wednesday at Meares Stadium.
Borja Gasper (77:59) and Hunter
Faust netted markers for the Indians (1-6-0, 0-4-0 SAC). Faust assisted on
Gaspar’s goal, while Faust snuck a shot inside the far post off a pass from Sam
The Lions (4-3-0, 1-2-0 SAC) led 1-0 at the break, after Rasmus Nielsen opened the scoring in the 36th-minute on an assist from Jeppe Christensen.
At the 53:50 mark, Sebastian Bertilsson doubled the lead on an assists from Jimmy Char, when his turnaround shot inside box, struck the tinside post.
Jeppe Christensin assisted on Oscar Mitchell's header off a free kick, making the Lions’ advantage 3-0 in the 69th minute. Jordan Lennon lifted a shot over the keeper three-minutes later for an unassisted tally, pushing the Mars Hill lead to 4-0.
Mars Hill added two goals in the final five minutes for the final score. At 85:42, Carlos Ayala-Viera banked his shot off the far post from a tight angle. Jayson Moorman registered the assist. Derek Kaple tapped in a cross from Char with 46 seconds left in regulation.
Inside the numbers
- Catawba outshot Mars Hill 15-11, including a 10-7 advantage in the second half.
- The Lions were called for 13 fouls, four yellow cards and one red card, while the Indians were guilty of 10 infractions and one yellow card.
- Andrew Bargh dropped to 0-2-0, after making two saves on eight shots in 90 minutes of action.
- Brian Salzman started the contest in net for the Lions and played the first 83:20. He improved to 5-3-0, making five saves on six shots.
- Henry Louque closed out the final 6:40 and allowed a goal on the only shot he faced.
Up NextCatawba wraps up the two-game road trip at Tusculum in Greeneville, Tenn. Saturday. The Indians face-off in a match against with league foe Tusculum at 5 p.m.
|No events are scheduled today|